Research & Awards
Government and scientific publications supporting our shark repellent technology:
- U.S. Department of Commerce - Bycatch Reduction report to Congress (pg.18-21): View Report
- Shark Defense Technologies and Key West Community College awarded a $234,311 grant to develop chemical shark repellent product in the field.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) publication (pages 43-50): NOAA Report
- Ocean & Coastal Management publication (Note: paper represents five years of analytical chemistry and field work): View Scientific Publication
- Additional research documents: Research
10 Government & Academic Grants– NOAA, National Science Foundation
Institutional Grants- Michigan State, Save Our Seas Foundation
20+ scientific journals
2 time winner of WWF international SmartGear competition
Great Lakes Commission and non-profit organizations.
- Previous first place and recent 2014 1st runner up for the WWF International Smartgear Competition
- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration awarded grant awarded to Shark Defense in this NOAA Publication
- Shark Defense successfully used the chemical shark repellent to reduce shark by-catch by 71%.
- 2009. Saltonstall-Kennedy Grant Program, FY 2009. “Process for Converting Shark Discards into a Shark Bycatch Reduction Technology”.
- 2010. Great Lakes Fishery Commission. Development of a Putrefaction-Derived Repellent for the Sea Lamprey.
- 2010. Michigan State University, Center for Water Sciences Venture Grant.
- Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences article mention
Species TestedNote: This is not the complete list of species
- Atlantic Sharpnose
- Blacknose Shark
- Blacktip Reef Shark
- Bull Shark
- Carribean Reef Shark
- Lemon Shark
- Nurse Shark
- Southern Stingray
- Tiger Sharks
- Blue Shark
- Cow Nosed Ray
- Great Hammerhead
- Smooth Dogfish
- Spiny Dogfish
- Spotted Wobbegong
Note: There are numerous other patents, especially patents from other countries that are not listed below
- US20090038205 -- Elasmobranch-repelling magnets and methods of use: View Patent
- US2012085018 -- Elasmobranch-repelling magneto-electropositive fishing hook View Patent
- US20100203154 -- Elasmobranch-Repelling Compounds, Methods of Use and Devices: View Patent
- US2010016346 -- Elasmobranch-Repelling Compounds and methods of use View Patent
- US2007256623 -- Elasmobranch-repelling electropositive metals and methods of use: View Patent
- US9084415B2 - Elasmobranch-repelling magnets and methods of use: View Patent